Anne Rice quits Christianity. Here is her facebook declarations.

Facebook declaration (Wednesday past)

For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outside. My conscience will allow nothing else.

Facebook declaration (Wednesday past - follow-up post)

As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.


Facebook declaration (Thursday past)

Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.

Editor's notes: Understand that the very being of the church is Jesus Christ. If Anne Rice no longer cares to run with the Church, that is of her own will. But she cannot cease being a member of the body of Christ anymore than she can quit breathing. To argue that point is to press for a dualism that finds her at odds with the normative world of the revealed will of God. After all, it was God who is pictured as having constantly filled his prophets with words of rebuke and correction -- directed at his own, those who claim his knowledge, those who pretended to be under his influence (and were, at times).

We continue to love Rice as a sister. But, we are thankful that her God has more patience with his church than she.

J David Smithson

2 comments:

  1. Who is Anne Rice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wrote the Vampire series. Was an atheist. Converted back to Christianity about 10 years ago and has now taken this stance.

    ReplyDelete