A Conservative pens thoughts about how he would deal with a gay child. Maybe we should all think about this.



If I had a child who “went gay,”  what would I do?

  1. I would re-examine my biblical view on that subject and encourage my gay child to do the same. 
  2. I would ask my child to respect my views, and not push his/her issue when hanging out with her dad.  Look,  if my daughter, Julie and her main squeeze, Mark,  came over to the house and staged major “make-out” cessions,  I would tell them to knock it off   . . .    so its not an anti-gay bias,  in and of itself. 
  3. I would recognize that “gay” is more than an intellectual decision.  That does not make it right or “acceptable,” but it does make it “complicated.”  
  4. I would never be a part of a gay’s primary complaint, i.e. “My parents hate me.”
  5. I would never argue for the acceptance of a lifestyle I believed to be wrong, while,  at the same time,  teaching 24/7 that God’s grace gives us all the time in this world to get things right in our lives.
  6. I would insist that my child continue to be one of my best friends.
  7. I would work to create a “church” climate that would allow my son or daughter to attend services and feel he/she had a place to worship.
  8. I would admit that the second I push my child away because of “gayness”  (or any other single issue),  I have taken myself out of his/her life,  in terms of influence and advice in all other areas of life. 
Have you ever heard a kid argue that “God wants me to be a drug addict,”  or, “God wants me to argue with and beat my wife,”  “God wants me to be lazy,”  ????   Just saying,  as a parent,  you may be the only one left in this world to talk to your kid about these other things,  things they KNOW are wrong.  Can’t do it if you have ordered them out of the house.

  1. I would give some thought as to why I might treat others differently than how I would hope treat my own kids.  By the way,  this works in reverse.  Kids need to stop being “hurt” because their parents don’t agree with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment