On my way to Denver early Wendesday morning. Packing, setting up the bike, and planning trip details today. The computer is the first thing into my tail bag.

Day # 1  :   First stop out of Fresno, California will be somewhere close to Winslow,  Ar (676 miles).   Just turned 70 a couple of days ago,  so,  I never know if I can ride 12 hours,  as planned,  or not,  but that is the plan.   Talk to you all tomorrow (Wednesday) evening.  I am ready for just about anything except a tornado   . . . . . .   not worried,  just saying.   

Day #2  Winslow to Sante Fe,  New Mexico  (326 miles)

Day #3  Sante Fe to Denver (392 miles)

Or I just might ride from Winslow to Denver without a stopover.  

hasta-lambago

Update:  Got to Winslow.  Almost no "bars"  . . . . .  could not communicate wiith some;  could not update the blog.  

Day #2:  Drove through Santa Fe.  Very nice city.  Made it to Las Vegas N.M.  Easy 5 hour ride into Denver, tomorrow.  A great trip.   Day #3 will put me in Denver around noon after a short,  5 hour ride. 

Update #2:  BTW,  local weather reports for Albuquerque,  New Mexico, announced the end of 183 consecutive days of under-70 degree weather,  with its forecasted high of near 80 degrees,  yesterday.  Hmmm,  no "global warming" in Albuquerque, but the drought continues in California.   Like I always say:  "There is no such thing as global warming;  it's all regional,  folks.  

Update #3:  I will be posting this evening for Saturday's edition  . . . .  nothing revolutionary.  I will be talking about Hillary's campaign and chances for winning the presidency; the sad state of affairs that is the radicalized, Al Sharpton inspired,  anti-American Movement that so destructive to a few of our largest cities; an appraisal of the GOP 2016 candidate offering(s) with Christie, Rick Santorum, and Donald Trump near the bottom,  and,  a review of the nation's economy from some of the best minds in the business.  

Update #4:  When on a trip  (I have put 38,000 miles on my VTX in the last three seasons),  I ride between 7 and 12 hours per day,  depending on whether or not I am taking pictures along the way.  My first long trip (960 miles to Seattle four years ago) found me taking two days to recover the first "leg" of that trip after 8 hours on the road  . . . . .  I had to call my son,  in Seattle,  and tell him I would have to take an extra day to finish the trip) proved the need to get in riding shape and stay in shape.  I weighed 330 pounds,  back then.  Today,  I weigh 263 on my weigh to 220 pounds, and, can ride 12 -14 hours a day, everyday,  if I need to be somewhere.  

Update: Weight loss and a riding tip:
While riding,  you expend 35 calories an hour over your regular energy burn rate, or so I am told. On a round trip of 2,000 miles are more  (this trip will be closer to 2,800 miles by the time I get home, next week),  I can lose 3 to 4 pounds of weight, and this ride is the beginning of my "long-trip" riding season,  although I ride nearly everyday,  year round.    

Judging from minor personal soreness,  the muscles most used on a long ride are (in order of the degree of soreness) your neck muscles,  the upper back muscles across the lower shoulders (not the lower back, surprisingly),  and the inside of your thighs.  It is important to do a little gym work and take a couple of pre-trip rides,  as prelim to any long trip   . . . . . .   especially if you are 70 years old.   

And there is the issue of butt-fatique.  I customized my seat four years ago,  and that has proven to be a good thing.  But,  the butt has a memory.  While the first day is usually very comfortable, for me,  the second day can be more problematic.  I have a sheep-skin seat cover with an added foam foundation,  that changes the seating configuration,  giving the butt a different option   . . . . . . .   one day on and one day off,  gives me a very comfortable,  long-term ride (yes,  I am a genius).    

Update #4  (May 6 in Denver):  Lots of rain and threat of snow for remainder of week  (Wednesday through Sunday).   Wanted to leave here for home,  on Saturday.  If I can get over Raton Pass at the Colorado/New Mex border,  the rest of the ride should be a good ride as far as weather is concerned.  Traffic between Denver and "the Springs,"  could be problematic.  But,  Saturday has the threat of snow and 20 degree weather.  I have heated gear so,  if I want to fight the cold and take a chance on the snow,  I will leave Saturday.  Time will tell.  

I have a couple of business appointments to keep,  while here and a pre-marriage counseling session on Friday.  

If Vail is open and the weather in Utah is allowable,  I might go home via that route.  It is 350 miles closer.  So it is either south to Albuquerque or north over Vail  (11,400 ft).  

4 comments:

  1. All those highway miles on a bike, what a bummer. Stiff hands and sore ass. It'll age you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps someday you'll visit the Obama Presidential Library in Chicago, to celebrate a great American president.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious to read his professorial notes on "Constitutional Law 101," summer school program, or, his published scholarship on that subject. Maybe the Library will have at least one student testimonial as to the greatness of Obama as a law professor. Or, the photos of his extensive civil rights work, or, maybe, photographs of the 13 folks who worked for him as a Community Organizer. EXCITEMENT !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete